It may sound strange to some people but yes we Germans have a pasta salad and we are proud of it! Every time my Italian friend Alessia invites us to a BBQ, I ask her whether I can bring my German Cold Pasta Salad. She always gives me a rather concerned look and then politely declines.
This salad is one of the staple dishes at any German BBQ. There are also vegetarian versions of this recipe but I always think its more fun with sausages. It is nice and refreshing and filling at the same time.
I made this salad for a picnic at our estate summer picnic. We live in a complex of 500 flats and everyone was invited to come along and bring a picnic and this salad was my contribution. The next day our German friend Eva-Katharina invited us to a German BBQ at her house to watch the World Cup Final. She had made the same German Cold Pasta Salad; so I had it twice in one weekend – what a treat!! And Germany won the World Cup – I think its down to the lucky German Pasta Salad 🙂
- 150 g pasta (any variety you like)
- 150 g plain yoghurt
- 2 table spoons Mayonnaise
- 4 pickled gherkins
- 1 table spoon mustard
- 1 table spoon sweet paprika powder
- 80 gr spring onions
- 5 German Bockwurst (you can get them at Lidl) or Frankfurters
- 1 small can of sweetcorn
- 1 jar of petit pois (or just canned peas)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions of the packet. Then place into a sieve and briefly run under some cold water to cool off.
- In a bowl mix together a salad dressing with the yoghurt, mustard, mayonnaise and paprika powder.
- Slice the sausages into small chunks of 1cm length.
- Chop both the spring onion and gherkins into round slices and add to the pasta.
- Open the cans of sweetcorn and petit pois and drain them before adding them to the pasta.
- Now finish off by stirring in the salad dressing and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- The salad taste better if you leave to cool in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Can be prepared the night before.