Let me introduce you to my Mama’s German Egg and Apple Salad. It’s quick and easy to prepare and filling as well as healthy.
I love it because its low carb and high protein. The different textures between the apple, egg and onion give this recipe an interesting crunch. If you use low fat mayonnaise than the fat content should not be too high to worry you.
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut into small cubes
- 1 sour apple, peeled, cored and chopping into small cubes
- 2-3 (depending on size) sour gherkins
- ½ small red onion, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 2 table spoons egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vinegar from the gherkin jar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine egg, apple, gherkins, onions in a bowl
- Mix with the mayonnaise and vinegar
- Fold in the Chives
- Now season with salt and pepper according to taste
- Best served on bread, or as a side dish at a buffet