Who has never tried a German Potato Salad? If you like German food (which I suppose you do because you are reading this blog) chances are very high that at one occasion you have had German Potato Salad. Now the fantastic thing about German Potato Salad is that there are so many varieties that you won’t have to eat the same once twice.
A couple of years ago I posted the recipe for my German Potato Salad with Radishes. This German Potato Salad with Apple and Gherkin Recipe was recommended to me by my little sister Lisa. She promised to make it for Bastian’s upcoming christening, and because she raved so much about it, I thought I should make it to see what all the fuss is about.
I was more than pleased with the result. The apple adds a little crunch to the salad and some sweetness which is contrasted with gherkins sourness. This will definitely find itself on the BBQ buffet menu.
- 1 kg waxy jacket potatoes
- 2 tsp mustard
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- 100 ml liquid from your pickled gherkin jar
- 4-5 medium sized gherkin
- 1 apple
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 spring onions
- chopped chives to finish off (optional)
- salt and pepper to season
- Boil the potatoes with a pinch of salt until soft. Then peel them, chop into smaller bits and set aside (the potatoes should still be warm)
- In the meantime add the mustard, sugar, gherkin liquid, vinegar, and chopped onion in a jar. Screw on the lid and shake thoroughly to create the vinaigrette.
- Peel the apple and chop into little chunks, slice the gherkin and cut the warm potatoes into smaller bits.
- Now mix all in a large bowl and pour over the vinaigrette. Ideally the warm potatoes should stand a bit of vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.Ideally leave in the fridge or 4 hours for the flavours to merge. Even better if you could leave it over night.
- Before serving add in the copped spring onions and chives.
- Goes well with Frankfurters or Bratwurst.