One of my all time- favourite German cakes. It reminds me of Christmas with it’s intoxicating red wine aroma, the tangy cinnamon flavour and the full taste of dark chocolate.
This Red Wine Chocolate Cake Recipe is very quick and easy to prepare. I brought the cake into work on a Monday and it was gone in no time.
This is also my way of recycling the leftover of an opened wine bottle.
Actually, on second thought disregard the last sentence. In our household this only happens in theory. I usually buy a new bottle of red wine with the intention of making this cake but also in the knowledge that we have another 875ml of red wine to enjoy while the cake is in the oven.
- 4 eggs
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 200 gr butter
- 2 table spoons cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnemon
- 1 tsp rum aroma
- 250 gr flour
- 125 ml red wine
- 100 gr chocolate chips
- 1 pack chocolate glaze
- In a kitchen machine or with a handmixer whisk the eggs until they foam.
- Add the sugar, vanilla sugar and butter and mix until you achieve an even consistency.
- Now add the remaining ingredients one by one (the chocolate chips last)
- Place the mixture into a greased cake tin
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Stick in a cocktail stick to check whether the cake is cooked. However this recipe is generally quite moist.
- Once the cake has cooled, heat the glaze and cover the cake in chocolate.