Here I am again, with a new waffle recipe! I thought you are probably on a sugar high after my Mum’s Sweet Waffles, and the Crunchy Anis Waffle Biscuits. This Potato Waffle with Smoked Salmon and Herb and Quark Sauce is the perfect light and healthy lunch.
Yes you heard right – the waffles are make from potatoes; so even though they look like their sweet counterparts they are 100% not dessert material. However, they do not taste like the potato waffles that people may have for breakfast. They are a lot lighter and are actually still mixed with flour and eggs. I have posted a quark dip recipe before and I probably will post a few recipes with quark as it is a very popular ingredient in German cooking.
What is quark?
Quark is made out of soured milk and is cured, like cheese, but continually stirred so it does not get hard. It is similar to the French fromage frais, and I have used it before as a substitute for quark in German recipes. Thankfully, it is widely available nowadays . I found my quark at Sainsbury’s, but I heard they also stock it in the larger Tescos. – If you really cannot find any use fromage frais.
This recipe is pretty easy to make. If you want you can prepare the quark sauce the day before and keep in the fridge overnight. If you ware making the waffles for a large group of people then you can just keep them warm in a heated oven.
If you do not fancy waffles then the quark and salmon combination also tastes amazing with baked potatoes.
- 150 g floury potatoes, pealed
- 20 g butter
- 150 natural yoghurt
- 60 g plain flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 2 medium eggs
- 250 g quark
- 1 bunch of fresh chives chopped
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 150 g natural yoghurt
- salt and pepper
- about 250 g smoked salmon,
- a little bit of fresh dill for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cook for 20 min until soft.
- Mash potatoes until smooth and mix in the butter.
- Now add in the yoghurt, flour, and cornflour and mix to a liquidly dough with a handmixer. Add the eggs one by one and mix them in.
- Heat up your waffle maker and brush the plates with some oil before baking the potato waffles until golden.
- Combine the quark, yoghurt and chives and horseradish in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the waffles with a spoon of quark herb sauce, and top it with a little smoked salmon.
- Sprinkle some fresh dill on top before serving.