Hello – I am back! Have you missed me? After two weeks of moving house I have returned with this simple cake recipe with frozen strawberries and almonds. My new house still looks like a car boot sale. It will be a few months before the new kitchen is fitted but thankfully the old owner left an eight hob range cooker behind.
I made this cake just before we moved. My kitchen cupboards only contained ingredients that needed to be used up and I found this pack of frozen strawberries in the freezer. Of course I already posted a couple recipes with frozen strawberries such as the strawberry vodka recipe or my skinny strawberry vodka ice-cream, but now I was in need of some cake.
If you want you can substitute the strawberries with any other frozen fruit such as raspberries or blackberries. It has a lovely moist texture which is contrasted nicely with the coarse texture of the roasted almonds.
- 300 g flour
- 250 g whipping cream
- 150 g castar sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp backing powder
- 200 g frozen strawberries (you can use fresh ones)
- 100 g almonds
- 50 g castar sugar
- Whipp the cream until stiff.
- Fold in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix until dough is smooth.
- Now add the flour and baking powder by adding it spoon by spoon.
- Pour the dough into a greased backing tray (32cm x 36 xm).
- In a bowl mix the almonds and sugar.
- Place the strawberries carefully on top of the dough and cover with the almond sugar mixture.
- Place the cake into a preheated oven at 180° and back for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned.
I brought the cake as a snack for our friends. We hired boats for the day and enjoyed a day in the sun at the Norfolk broads. Wrexham to be precise. If you want to read more about our trip have a look at the blog “Our next sunrise“. My friend Marylou writes about all her travel adventures including our trip to Wrexham.