Oh well… We should be grateful because otherwise I would not have rediscovered my love for smoked mackerel spread.
We always like experimenting with new bread spread, open sandwiches ideas. We often have some rye bread along side some salad as a light dinner or a quick lunch.
This smoked mackerel spread recipe is great because it subtly tones down the strong flavour of the mackerel and the lemon juice adds a fresh taste.
- 1 pack smoked mackerel (about 180 g)
- 200 g cream cheese (the low fat version if you prefer)
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tsp freshly chopped chives
- salt and pepper to season
- In a bowl break up the mackerel into little pieces with a fork.
- Fold in the cream cheese and lemon juice.
- Add 2 tsp of chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on some bread of choice and sprinkle with more chopped chives before serving.
- This breadspread lasts up to 3 days in an airtight tupper ware in your fridge.