This Strawberry and Vanilla Pudding Cake is the perfect German recipe to celebrate the strawberry season. I love German cake recipes because most of them are very easy to follow. Also they often include fresh fruit, and I love fresh fruit.
I was uncertain whether I should post this recipe because I have not found all of the German Vanilla Pudding ingredients here in England. You can order it from this German Deli Website; or just use Salisbury’s Vanilla Dessert or Custard Creme as an alternative.
I brought them along to the same garden party for which I made these Feta and Spinach Triangles that everybody loved it. It’s a quite light and fresh tasting cake and is great for sharing.
- 1 pack German Vanilla Pudding
- 40 g sugar
- ½ litre milk
- (alternatively use a packet of Vanilla Angel Delight or thick custard creme)
- 1 kg fresh strawberries
- a handful fresh mint leaves for decoration
- 250 g soft butter or margarine
- 200 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 pinch of salt
- 6 medium sized eggs
- 100 gr single cream
- 250 g flour
- 1 table spoon baking powder
- Prepare the Vanilla Pudding/ Angel delight or Custard Creme according to packet's instructions and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Whisk the butter until creamy, using a hand mixer. Slowly start adding sugar, the flavoring and salt. While mixing at high speed add the eggs in one by one.
- Fold in the cream, baking powder and lastly the flour.
- Pour the cake mixture on a greased baking tray (40 x 30 cm) and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- In the meantime wash the strawberries and half or quarter them.
- Spread the cooled pudding mixture over the cake base
- Place the strawberries evenly on top and decorate with a few fresh mint leaves.