I love recipes where I can just throw ingredients into a bowl and shove it in the oven allowing the flavors to fuse. This is a great simple dish that presents very well. You can cook it in advance and reheat before serving. It is designed for sharing.
We had this dish as a late lunch after having round around London all day looking for a suitable house to move to. I served this with some rocket salad, hummus and pita bread.
Source: adapted from Nada Saleh’s Seductive Flavours of the Levant
- 3 medium size aubergines, peeled and cut into slices
- sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- 250 gr minced lamb (if you like more meat up the quantity to 450 gr)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cinnamon
- 6 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- more parsley to garnish
- Sprinkle aubergines with salt and leave in a colander for an hour to draw out the water and bitterness
- Brush each side of the aubergines with olive oil and then grill until golden brown. Set aside
- In a bowl mix together the spices and lamb. Shape into small flattish balls.
- In a large oven dish place a tomato slice, then an aubergine slice followed by a meatball.
- Repeat arranging them in a spiral.
- Place in the oven at about 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some fresh parsley before serving.