As Christmas time is approaching I have been looking for something personal to give to friends and family. I have been making this recipe for a couple of years now, with success as my little sister will not have any other chutney.
It’s a very easy recipe but delicious at the same time. It does help to have a kitchenmachine to chop the onions, or wear some goggles as you will be chopping for a while!
Ingredients making enough for about 6-7 jars (depending on the size of your jars):
- 2 kg red onions
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- 400 ml balsamic vinegar
- 250 gr brown sugar
- 2-3 chillies chopped into small stripes
- Olive Oil
- Sterilized Jars
- Fry the chopped onions in a low head for 20-25 min until they get very sticky and sweet
- Add the sugar and chillies. Mix well and fry for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the two vinegars and mx well and then let it bubble for 45 min – 1 hour. Make sure to stir it once in a while otherwise the bottom may burn.
- Wait a little until the mixture cools down and then pour it in the prepared and sterilized chutney jars.
- Screw the lids on tightly and its best to leave chutney rest for the 3-4 weeks for the taste to mature.