Wow is that not a mouthful? “Toasted Marshmallow Waffle Sandwich with Melted Chocolate ” But I could not think of a shorter title to describe my latest most indulgent waffle recipe in my waffle series.
This is probably one of the most naughtiest recipes that i have posted – but I am really pleased I did. My husband was looking through one of my numerous cookbooks – he found this Waffle- Marshmallow recipe. He is a very big fan of marshmallows and so suggested this would go very well with our Sunday Coffee. We have our “tea and biscuits” the German way as “coffee and cake”.
Anyone with a serious sweet tooth will not get enough of this waffle. This is a recipe meant for sharing, because it is very rich. Neither I nor my husband could not finish one on our own – but I would dare you to try, although beware it is pretty calorific!
The recipe starts of simple enough with a simple waffle recipe for your waffle maker. The marshmallows can be toasted with a blowtorch, but I just placed mine under the grill. The waffle is best eaten while still warm, with the chocolate melted and the marshmallows really soft. But if kept, put them in the fridge: the melted chocolate hardens and the waffles firm up, but the marshmallows remain soft and gooey!
- 260 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20 g cocoa powder sifted
- 60 g caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3 eggs seperated
- 375 ml milk
- 60 g melted unsalted butter
- 200 g bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, salt , egg yolks, milk and melted butter into a large mixing bowl and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and then gently fold them into the batter.
- Preheat your waffle maker and grease with a little butter.
- Bake one of the waffles, and then place onto a plate. Place some of the marshmallows on top (if you bought large marshmallows cut them in half).
- Place the plate with the waffle under the grill and toast until the marshmallows begin to caramelise: ideally golden brown and crisp at the surface but melted and soft underneath.
- Now top the marshmallows with some of the chocolate and place the second waffle on top. (The second waffle should be quite warm to melt the rest of the chocolate and marshmallow).
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients until the batter is used up.